Thursday, May 10, 2012

VINTAGE SEWING BASKET

I just had to post about this vintage sewing basket I found last week. My grandmother taught me how to sew on her treadle sewing machine when I was in high school. She gave me a similar one which I still have. I believe this one dates to 1940's or 1050's. It is made of a material similar to raffia, but possible a plastic. Funny how vintage lovers are always drawn to items that bring back fond memories. It takes us back to a time when women actually had the time to sit down and sew clothes for themselves and their families.
The inside is still intact, with minimal staining to the fabric. A loop to hold a thimble is in the center of the pin cushion on the back side of the top.
There are lots of uses for this little sewing basket. You could use it to store a keepsake, old letters or just about anything. You can find more information on this in my in my Antiques Galore Gal etsy shop.

4 comments:

  1. what a sweet little box ... i remember when most sewers had them. wouldn't this one look cute as a Christmas decoration ... or a gift box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to visit a new blog! I'm going to spend a little time drinking my coffee and snooping around. I think we have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That appears to be in great condition, very good find~ Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails